Drywall Support Program - Contractors and Builders Applicant Guide
Table of Contents
View the print-friendly version: PDF
- 1. What is the Drywall Support Program?
- 2. Who Can Apply?
- 3. How Do I Apply?
- 4. How do I Start, Save and Submit an Application?
- 5. Application Form – Detailed Instructions
- 6. Questions?
1. What is the Drywall Support Program?
Drywall costs were higher in Western and Northern Canada between September 6, 2016 and February 24, 2017 due to anti-dumping duties imposed on drywall imported from the United States. On February 27, 2017, the Government of Canada announced that anti-dumping duties would be reduced and approximately $12 million of anti-dumping duties collected would support a program to distribute funding back to those most affected by the higher costs.
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is administering a short-term Drywall Support Program, in conjunction with the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor), which serves the Northwest Territories and Yukon.
1.2 A One-Time Grant Payment
A one-time payment is available to provide partial relief for higher than anticipated drywall costs to:
Registered Canadian drywall contractors and builders operating in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, and the Northwest Territories who experienced a financial loss as a direct result of higher drywall costs.
1.3 How Much Funding is Available?
A one-time payment will be provided as follows:
An estimated $11 million will be distributed among qualifying drywall contractors and builders on a pro-rated basis. The maximum amount payable under this program is $1 million per organization with payments not exceeding the total loss claimed. The funding will be pro-rated based on total losses for all approved claims to the program.
WD reserves the right to make the final determination on the value of payments, and to not approve applications deemed to be ineligible or to have included false or misleading information.
2. Who Can Apply?
2.1 Eligible Applicants
To be eligible to apply for a one-time payment, you must:
- Own a drywall contracting or building business with less than 500 employees, based in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon or the Northwest Territories; and
- Have proof of fixed price contracts entered into prior to September 6, 2016 that include drywall quotes with quantities and pricing; and
- Have proof of drywall purchased between September 6, 2016 and February 24, 2017; and
- Disclose the amount of the loss that was passed onto others.
Please note that lost revenue due to cancelled jobs or lost work does not qualify for a payment.
3. How Do I Apply?
3.1 When do I Need to Apply? (May 1 - June 13, 2017)
The Drywall Support Program will be open for applications at 12:00 p.m. (noon) Mountain Daylight time on Monday, May 1, 2017 and close Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at the following local times:
|Province/Territory||British Columbia||Yukon||Alberta||Saskatchewan||Northwest Territories||Manitoba|
No applications will be accepted outside the application period.
3.2 How do I Apply Online?
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online.
The application is posted on WD's website.
An online application can be saved and submitted later, allowing you to complete it in more than one session. The application takes time to complete and documentation must be attached to substantiate your application. Applicants are encouraged to review the requirements well in advance of the deadline.
Please see below for detailed instructions on how to complete and submit an online application.
Submitting an application does not constitute a commitment from WD or CanNor. There is no guarantee an application will result in a payment.
4. How do I Start, Save and Submit an Application?
Save a draft application as soon as you can - To do so, the following fields on the application form need to be completed so WD can find the saved application if you require technical support.
- Question 1: Legal name of applicant organization
- Question 3: Email address
- Question 5: Telephone number
- Questions 22 – 27: Primary contact information
Save frequently – This will help prevent you from losing data that you have inputted in the event there is an Internet interruption or your session is timed out.
Accessing your saved application form – Once you have successfully saved your application, an email will be sent to the email address of the Primary Contact noted on the form. If the Primary Contact is not the person completing the application, he/she will need to forward this email to the individual who is. You can only access your saved application with the information (weblink) included in that email, so it is critical that you save the email. Do not bookmark the application in your internet browser. Always open the saved form using the link in the email.
When you receive that “saved application” email from WD, please do the following:
- Click on the Application Retrieval Link included in the “saved” email.
- You will require a GCKey to open your saved application.
- A GCKey is a unique username and password that allows access to, and protects your communication with, online Government of Canada programs and services.
- Detailed instructions on using a GCKey are available.
- If you do not already have a GCKey, you can register for one when opening your saved application for the first time.
- Step 1. Select the “Continue to GCKey” button (this will be the second option on your screen).
- Step 2. Select the “Sign Up” button on the right-hand side of the GCKey login page.
- Step 3. Follow the instructions on your screens to create a username and password.
- Once you have registered for a GCKey, select the “Continue to GCKey” button and input your username/password.
- WD recommends that you create a new (separate) GCKey for each individual application you submit to Western Economic Diversification. Creating a unique GCKey for each application allows you to share the GCKey with others who may need to view or work on the application. In the event another individual must gain access to the saved application, sharing the GCKey is at your organization’s risk and discretion. As such, we do not recommend using the Sign-in Partner method using financial institutional partners; however, this option is available for those who prefer it.
It is important to note the following:
- You must save the link contained in the email you receive from WD after saving your application for the first time to retrieve a saved draft of your application. You will not receive another email when saving your work in the future.
- Once you have accessed the saved application form with your GCKey, only that GCKey will be able to access the form. Therefore it is important that you do not lose your GCKey username and password.
- In the event another individual must gain access to the saved application, sharing the GCKey is at your own risk and discretion.
- It is important to remember your GCKey username as it cannot be retrieved if lost. In the event your GCKey username is lost, a new application will have to be started.
- If you experience technical difficulties related to accessing your saved application form, please contact WD at 1-888-338-9378 or by email: email@example.com.
- Logout when you are finished working with the form, for the day.
- If you are using two separate GCKeys for any reason, you may need to clear your computer browsing history when logging out from one saved form and logging into another.
Submitting your application form:
- Save a final version of your application using the “Save” button at the top of the application form. Please ensure you have attached all required additional documentation.
- Once you submit your application, you can no longer re-open the form. Be sure to either print a copy or convert it to PDF and save before you submit.
- Select the “Validate/Submit” button at the top of the application form to formally submit your online application to WD.
- Once the validation of your application is complete you will have to select a second “Submit” button.
- A "saved" application that is not formally submitted will not be considered for funding.
- The Primary Contact will receive a confirmation email upon successful submission. If you do not receive this confirmation email within 24 hours of submitting it, please check your email spam folder, as it might have been classified as spam by your email server. If you still don’t have a confirmation email, please contact WD at 1-888-338-9378 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Application Form – Detailed Instructions
To ensure accessibility for all potential applicants, HTML and PDF versions (which cannot be completed electronically) of the application form are available, but will require applicants to print, complete, sign and submit in hardcopy. All hardcopy applications and supporting documentation must be postmarked on or before June 13, 2017. If you have any questions or concerns related to the accessibility of information or materials about the Drywall Support Program in a format that meets your needs, please contact WD at 1-888-338-9378 or by email: email@example.com.
It is important to note that all correspondence regarding the application will be sent to the Primary Contact’s email. WD may also contact other persons or companies noted in your application, to verify information provided.
If you attempt to submit an online application with missing information in the mandatory fields you will receive an error message indicating which questions are incomplete. These questions must be completed in order to successfully submit an application. Remember that a ‘Saved’ application is not a ‘Submitted’ application.
Enter the required information in the space provided. An asterisk (*) indicates a required field.
1. Legal name of applicant organization: The full legal name as shown on the certificate of incorporation/ registration. Please note, this will be the cheque recipient, if approved.
2. Operating name if different than legal name: Provide the name the applicant organization is operating under if different from the full legal name of applicant organization.
3. Email address: Provide a valid e-mail address for the organization. Please note, all correspondence regarding the application will go to the Primary Contact email address provided in questions 23 and 24.
4. Website: The organization’s website address, if applicable.
5. Telephone: The telephone number at which the applicant organization can be contacted. Use the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx.
6. Facsimile: The facsimile number at which the applicant organization receives faxes, if applicable. Use the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx.
7. Mailing address (Including suite, unit, apt #): The mailing address of the applicant organization.
8. Mailing address line 2: Additional space to provide the mailing address.
9. City: The city/town portion of the applicant organization’s mailing address.
10. Province/Territory: The province/territory portion of the applicant organization’s mailing address.
11. Postal Code: The postal code portion of the applicant organization’s mailing address.
If the organization’s legal address is the same as the address provided in questions 7 – 11, simply check the box. If the legal address is different, please complete questions 12 – 16.
12. Legal address (Including suite, unit and apt #): The organization’s legal mailing address.
13. Legal address line 2: Additional space to provide the legal mailing address.
14. City: The city/town portion of the legal mailing address.
15. Province/Territory: The province/territory portion of the legal mailing address.
16. Postal Code: The postal code portion of the legal mailing address.
17. Where is your business located?Indicate in which province/territory the organization is located.
18. Organization type:Select the best fit, among Corporation, Partnership or Sole Proprietorship.
19. Does your company have fewer than 500 employees? Please check the appropriate box to indicate “yes” or “no”. Please note, as per Section 2.1 of this guide, only drywall contractors and builders that are small or medium-sized enterprises (i.e. fewer than 500 employees) are eligible to apply.
20. Is your company an Indigenous owned business? Please check the appropriate box.
a. Provide your 9-Digit CRA Business Number (BN):The unique business number or GST number assigned by the Canada Revenue Agency. For information on obtaining a business number visit: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bn/.
b. If you do not have a CRA Business Number (BN) attach a copy of your business license:It is mandatory to attach a copy of your business license, if you did not provide a BN in the previous question.
The Primary Contact is the person in your organization WD will contact for any follow-up on the application. Please ensure that the email address and phone numbers are correct, and that either the Primary Contact or the Authorized Official Contact (questions 35 – 36 below), is available for follow-up in June – July, 2017.
Note: When a draft form is saved for the first time, an email will be sent to the Primary Contact. This email is only sent the first time the application form is saved, and contains important instructions on how to retrieve the saved form.
22. Salutation: Indicate the appropriate salutation (e.g., Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., etc.).
23. First name: Provide the Primary Contact’s first name.
24. Last name: Provide the Primary Contact’s family name.
25. Title: Provide the Primary Contact’s job title (e.g., President, Executive Director).
26. Email address: Provide a valid e-mail address. All correspondence regarding the application will go to this email address.
27. Telephone: Provide a phone number for the Primary Contact. Use the format xxx-xxx-xxxx.
28. Cell: Provide a cell number for the Primary Contact. Use the format xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Evidence of Fixed Contracts entered into prior to September 6, 2016
29. For each contract, provide the following information. Click the “+” sign to add a new row, for each contract.
- Date Contract Issued: Enter the date the fixed contract quotation was made. Use the format MM/DD/YYYY. Note, only contracts issued prior to September 6, 2016 are eligible.
- Total Quoted Price of Drywall: Enter the quoted price of drywall.
- Total Square Feet of Drywall Quoted: Enter the amount of drywall quoted for each contract, in ftsq.
- Attach Contract: A copy of each quote must be attached. Please note, ZIP files will not be accepted.
Totals: Sum totals for price and amount of drywall quoted will calculate automatically.
Evidence of Drywall Purchases between September 6, 2016 and February 24, 2017
30. For each drywall purchase, provide the following information. Click the “+” sign to add a new row, for each purchase.
- Purchase Date: Use the format MM/DD/YYYY. Note, only purchases between September 6, 2016 and February 24, 2017 are eligible.
- Price of Drywall Purchased: Enter the purchase price of drywall.
- Square Feet of Drywall Purchased: Enter the amount of drywall purchased, in ftsq
- Attach Invoice: It is mandatory to attach the invoice for each purchase. Please note, ZIP files will not be accepted.
- Attach Proof of Payment: It is mandatory to attach a proof of payment for each purchase, such as a cancelled cheque, purchase order, or bank statement. Please note, ZIP files will not be accepted.
Totals: Sum totals for price and amount of drywall purchased will calculate automatically.
This section calculates each time the form is saved
31. Calculated Loss (based on information provided above): This field calculates automatically. It is the average difference in drywall prices (according to information provided in questions 29 and 30; quoted and purchased) applied to the quantity of drywall purchased, to a maximum quantity of what was quoted before September 6, 2016.
32. What dollar amount of Question 31 was passed onto your customers? Please provide a best estimate of how much of the calculated loss was recouped by passing the higher costs to others.
33. Adjusted Calculated Loss (Question 31 minus Question 32): This field calculates automatically.
Authorized Official of the Applicant Organization Acknowledgements
This section must be completed, and the application form submitted by a member of your organization with signing power/authority to enter into a legal grant funding Agreement. This can be someone other than the Primary Contact.
IMPORTANT: For the Authorized Official – after reading and understanding the acknowledgements section, please check all 6 boxes to indicate you acknowledge and agree with the terms, and provide your contact information.
34. Salutation: Indicate the appropriate salutation (e.g., Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., etc.).
35. First name: Provide the first name of the authorized official.
36. Last name: Provide the family name of the authorized official.
37. Title: Provide your job title (e.g., President, Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer).
38. Email address: Provide a valid e-mail address.
39. Telephone: Provide a phone number where the authorized official can be contacted. Use the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx.
40. Cell: Provide a cell number where the authorized official can be contacted. Use the following format xxx-xxx-xxxx.
41. Signature: If you are using the online application form, you do not need to provide a signature. If you are using another format (i.e. PDF or HTML) for accessibility reasons, you will need to print and sign the document.
42. Date: If you are using the online application, you do not need to enter a date, as it will fill automatically. If you are using another format for accessibility reasons, you will need to enter the date.
Please see “Submitting your application form” in Section 4 of this guide, for instructions on how to submit the completed application form.
Please contact Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) by phone or email, at:
Toll Free: 1-888-338-WEST (9378) or
- Date modified: