Western Economic Diversification Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

How to make a request under the Privacy Act

Requests for personal information pertaining to the applicant and held by Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) should be made to the Department under the Privacy Act. The applicant must either: be in Canada, a Canadian Citizen, or a permanent resident.

Formal requests under the Privacy Act must:

  • be in writing;
  • be signed by the applicant and dated; and
  • include the name of the individual requesting their personal information, Canadian mailing address, telephone number and, if possible, an e-mail address where the applicant can be contacted between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays.

If you are requesting personal information that does not concern you, the individual for whom you are requesting information must provide verifiable, written authorization that you are acting as their representative.

Written requests may be submitted using the Personal Information Request form (TBS/SCT 350-58), or in a letter indicating that the request is made in accordance with the Privacy Act. There are no fees involved with the processing of a request under the Privacy Act.

Requests must include sufficient detail to enable an experienced WD employee, with a reasonable effort, to identify the records that are being requested. Examples include, but are not limited to, time periods, file numbers, client identifiers, file names, report titles, or locations (office or region/branch).

All requests for information under the control of any WD office pursuant to the Privacy Act must be sent to:

Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
Western Economic Diversification Canada
Suite 1500, Canada Place
9700 Jasper Avenue N.W.
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4H7

In addition, inquiries concerning the request process for personal information at WD may be e-mailed to atip-aiprp@wd-deo.gc.ca. Inquiries related to the processing of a specific request should be directed to the ATIP Officer handling your request; please reference the request number assigned to it by our office in your correspondence.