Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF) — funding requests up to $40,000
We are receiving a significant volume of applications and are processing as quickly as possible. You will receive an email with the status of your application as soon as it is assessed. Our call centres have no further information on your application.
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) will provide eligible small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with an interest-free repayable contribution of up to $40,000 to help alleviate financial hardship resulting from COVID-19. The objective of this program is to assist western Canadian SMEs that do not qualify for the Canadian Emergency Business Account (CEBA) program or the ‘RRRF – Community Futures Stream.’
Guides and help
Who can apply for the RRRF
The Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF) is open to businesses that are not eligible for the Canadian Emergency Business Account (CEBA) program or ‘RRRF – Community Futures Stream.’
Businesses must meet the following mandatory criteria:
- Have fewer than 500 full-time employees (FTEs)
- Are located in Western Canada (defined as British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba)
- Are not located in an area serviced by a Community Futures (CF) office
- Are not eligible for the ‘RRRF – Community Futures Stream’
- Have applied and were declined for funding from the Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) or were not eligible for CEBA funding
- Were operational as of March 1, 2020
- Have suffered financially because of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Intend to continue operations in Western Canada
Examples of business that are eligible to apply to the RRRF:
- Pre-revenue firms (e.g. a company that has not had any sales to date)
- Businesses that do not have salaried employees (e.g. a company with a workforce of contract employees)
- Businesses with no payroll that do pay their owners a salary (e.g. a company that pays its owners through dividends)
Examples of businesses that are not eligible to apply to the RRRF:
- Sole proprietorships
- Not-for-profit organizations
You can also use the RRRF Eligibility Assistant to quickly determine if you can apply.
When to apply
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis and will be assessed as they are received. The RRRF will close once it successfully distributes funds to eligible businesses across Western Canada.
We will make every effort to notify you by email with a decision on your application within 10 business days.
Funding is subject to availability.
Under the RRRF, eligible businesses can receive a conditionally repayable contribution up to $40,000.
The contribution amount will be the lesser of the applicant’s estimated total operating balance between April 1, 2020, and September 30, 2020 or $40,000.
The following repayment terms will apply:
- Repayment of 75%, or up to $30,000, of the contribution amount, on or before December 31, 2022, will result in the forgiveness of 25%, or up to $10,000 of the total contribution
- No scheduled monthly repayments are required until after December 31, 2022
- If 75% of the contribution amount is not repaid by December 31, 2022, the balance owing will be converted to an additional three (3) year term repayable contribution (with a fixed monthly repayment schedule), beginning January 2023, with no forgivable portion
- The full balance, of the contribution amount must be repaid no later than December 31, 2025
Disbursement of the contribution
If an application for funding is approved, you will be asked to review and accept a Contribution Agreement with WD before funds, up to a maximum of $40,000, are disbursed through a single payment.
The total amount of the contribution must be reported as income in the year in which the contribution is received.
Funding recipients will be required to attest that the full amount of the contribution was expended for operating costs, such as rent, wages and salaries, utilities, insurance, debt expenses, professional fees and property and business taxes.
Businesses will be required to submit a final report that includes:
- Number of jobs maintained, as a result of RRRF
- Confirmation that the business is continuing its operations
- Other metrics as may be requested by WD
WD may request a copy of the Recipient’s financial statements.
How to apply
- Refer to the application guide for instructions
- Applications cannot be started and saved, so must be completed in one session. Incomplete applications will not be assessed and will be considered ineligible for funding.
- Businesses are limited to the submission of one application for RRRF.
More information and questions
For additional RRRF information, contact your nearest WD regional office.
- Date modified: