COVID-19: WD support for western Canadian businesses
On this page
- Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF)
- Repayable contributions payment deferral
- Regional Air Transportation Initiative (RATI)
- Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund (CSSF)
- Other support from the Government of Canada
This page will be updated as more details about COVID-19-related supports become available.
As a trusted federal government partner, Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is taking action to support small and medium-sized businesses.
WD can assist your business with:
- access to federal funding to help you stay in business
- advice and pathfinding services to other federal programs and services available
Open for applications: Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF)
This Fund helps businesses, organizations and communities relieve the economic impact of COVID-19 and prepare for recovery by:
- mitigating financial pressures so that you can continue your operations and keep paying employees
- supporting business projects to prepare now for a successful recovery
Find out if you’re eligible.
Repayable contributions payment deferral
If your small or medium-sized business or organization has received WD funding and COVID-19 is affecting your operations, you may be eligible to receive additional funding and/or flexible arrangements. Please contact your local WD office if:
- Your business is in the repayment phase of your project.
- You submitted a project application that has not been evaluated.
- You received a contribution from WD, but are concerned about not being able to meet your obligations.
- You received a contribution related to a now-cancelled trade mission, and have already incurred costs.
- You received a contribution for an event that has had to be postponed or cancelled.
Please note that if your business is in the repayment phase of your project:
- Your project repayments will be deferred until January 1, 2021.
- Related interest charges will also be deferred.
- This is a deferral, not a forgiveness.
- WD will work with you to formalize these deferrals into an amended repayment schedule.
Regional Air Transportation Initiative
This $206 million initiative aims to help regional air transportation ecosystems affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19. It will support regional and local air carriers and airports that are critical regional transportation hubs or fill essential service gaps in Western Canada. This support will enable the air transportation system in Western Canada to remain operational through these difficult times and continue to support the economic growth of our communities.
Click here for further details on the Regional Air Transportation Initiative.
Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund
Applications are no longer being accepted.
This new fund offers $62.5 million of new assistance to the fish and seafood processing sectors. The funding provides tangible and rapid assistance to help address the financial strain and market instability that the fish and seafood processing sector is facing.
This investment helps ensure the resilience of the food system by allowing Canada’s fish and seafood processing sector to safely and efficiently process, store, package and distribute healthy, high-quality products, sourced from our fish harvesters and aquaculture operators, onto the plates of Canadians.
Click here for further details on the Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund.
Other support from the Government of Canada
The Government of Canada is taking action to support western Canadian small- and medium-sized businesses. Information on financial and economic support is available below and will be updated as details become available.
Canadian Business Resilience Network
The Canadian Business Resilience Network provides links to both government and private sector resources.
Western Economic Diversification Canada
Suite 1500, 9700 Jasper Ave
Edmonton AB T5J 4H7
Toll Free: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-877-303-3388
Visit canada.ca/coronavirus for the latest information.
- Date modified: