COVID-19: WD support for western Canadian businesses
On this page
- Tourism Relief Fund (TRF)
- Jobs and Growth Fund (JGF)
- Canada Community Revitalization Fund (CCRF)
- Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF)
- Aerospace Regional Recovery Initiative (ARRI)
- Regional Air Transportation Initiative (RATI)
- Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative (MFESI)
- Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund (CSSF)
- Other support from the Government of Canada
This page will be updated as more details about COVID-19-related supports become available.
As a trusted federal government partner, Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is taking action to support small and medium-sized businesses.
WD can assist your business with:
- access to federal funding to help you stay in business
- advice and pathfinding services to other federal programs and services available
Tourism Relief Fund (TRF)
The Tourism Relief Fund, administered by Canada’s regional development agencies and Innovation Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED), supports tourism businesses and organizations adapt their operations to meet public health requirements while investing in products and services to facilitate their future growth. With a budget of $500 million over 2 years, including $50 million specifically dedicated to Indigenous tourism initiatives, and $15 million for national initiatives, this fund will position Canada to be a destination of choice when domestic and international travel is once again safe by:
- empowering tourism operators to create new or enhance existing tourism experiences and products to attract more local and domestic visitors
- helping the sector reposition itself to welcome international visitors by offering the best Canadian tourism experiences we have to offer the world
Click here for further details on the Tourism Relief Fund.
Jobs and Growth Fund (JGF)
The Jobs and Growth Fund (JGF) is a $700-million federal program to support regional job creation and position local economies for long-term growth.
The fund will help job creators and the organizations that support them future-proof their businesses, build resiliency and prepare for growth by:
- supporting he transition to a green economy
- fostering an inclusive recovery
- encouraging digital adoption
- strengthening capacity in sectors critical to Canada’s recovery and growth
Click here for further details on the Jobs and Growth Fund.
Canada Community Revitalization Fund (CCRF)
Priority will be given to CCRF projects submitted by 11:59 pm MT on July 23, 2021. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications before 4:00 pm on Friday, as tech support will not be available after 5:00 pm.
The Canada Community Revitalization Fund (CCRF) aims to help communities across Canada build and improve community infrastructure projects so they can rebound from the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic. With a national investment of $500 million over two years, the Fund’s purpose is to support not-for-profit organizations, municipalities and other community groups, as well as Indigenous communities:
- build new community infrastructure and revitalize existing assets
- bring people back to public spaces safely as health measures ease
- create jobs and stimulate local economies
Click here for further details on the Canada Community Revitalization Fund.
Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF)
Applications are no longer being accepted.
This Fund helps businesses, organizations and communities relieve the economic impact of COVID-19 and prepare for recovery by:
- mitigating financial pressures so that you can continue your operations and keep paying employees
- supporting business projects to prepare now for a successful recovery
Click here for further details on the Regional Relief and Recovery Fund.
Aerospace Regional Recovery Initiative (ARRI)
The Aerospace Regional Recovery Initiative (ARRI) will help the Canadian aerospace sector emerge from the pandemic with the capacity to compete on the global stage. The Initiative will support small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the following three objectives:
- to green their operations and adopt environmentally sustainable practices
- to improve productivity
- to strengthen commercialization while furthering integration into regional and global supply chains
With a total budget of $250 million over three years (until March 31, 2024), this initiative is being delivered by Canada’s regional development agencies (RDAs). It complements support for the aerospace industry provided through Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan and by Industry, Science and Economic Development (ISED) through the Strategic Innovation Fund.
Click here for further details on the Aerospace Regional Recovery Initiative.
Regional Air Transportation Initiative (RATI)
This $206 million initiative aims to help regional air transportation ecosystems affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19. It will support regional and local air carriers and airports that are critical regional transportation hubs or fill essential service gaps in Western Canada. This support will enable the air transportation system in Western Canada to remain operational through these difficult times and continue to support the economic growth of our communities.
Click here for further details on the Regional Air Transportation Initiative.
Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative (MFESI)
The Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative supports major Canadian festivals and events that have been hit hard by the economic impacts of COVID-19 to adapt and enhance their activities as the economy recovers. With a national budget of $200 million over two years, the Initiative will ensure continued operations and maintain local jobs in surrounding communities.
Click here for further details on the Major Festivals and Events Support Initiative.
Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund
Applications are no longer being accepted.
This new fund offers $62.5 million of new assistance to the fish and seafood processing sectors. The funding provides tangible and rapid assistance to help address the financial strain and market instability that the fish and seafood processing sector is facing.
This investment helps ensure the resilience of the food system by allowing Canada’s fish and seafood processing sector to safely and efficiently process, store, package and distribute healthy, high-quality products, sourced from our fish harvesters and aquaculture operators, onto the plates of Canadians.
Click here for further details on the Canadian Seafood Stabilization Fund.
Other support from the Government of Canada
The Government of Canada is taking action to support western Canadian small- and medium-sized businesses. Information on financial and economic support is available below and will be updated as details become available.
Canadian Business Resilience Network
The Canadian Business Resilience Network provides links to both government and private sector resources.
Western Economic Diversification Canada
Suite 1500, 9700 Jasper Ave
Edmonton AB T5J 4H7
Toll Free: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-877-303-3388
Visit canada.ca/coronavirus for the latest information.
- Date modified: