Details on Regional Air Transportation Initiative in Western Canada
The Regional Air Transportation Initiative (RATI) is a $206 million initiative that aims to help regional air transportation ecosystems affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19. It will support regional and local air carriers and airports that are critical regional transportation hubs or fill essential service gaps in Western Canada. This support will enable the air transportation system in Western Canada to remain operational through these difficult times and continue to support the economic growth of our communities.
On this page
How and when to apply
- You can apply now by contacting Western Economic Diversification Canada office in your region. Please note that applications submitted by April 30, 2021, will be prioritized.
- The initiative will end on March 31, 2022.
- Regional and local airports
- Regional and local air carriers
- Businesses, cooperatives, business groups, not-for-profit organizations (NPOs) and public institutions that are part of the regional air transportation ecosystem
Eligible activities could include
- design and implementation of solutions or enhanced services to restore regional air transportation connectivity
- projects that support the reinstatement or addition of air routes to communities directly impacted by route suspensions
- operating costs and maintenance expenses related to restoring or enhancing air services
Note that activities that will not be supported under RATI include compensation for revenue losses, refinancing of an existing debt, the purchase of an airplane, and airplane fuel.
Contact us to know if your organization could be eligible or for any other questions on this initiative. We will be able to give you information and advice, while taking into consideration priorities for action in your region and the availability of funds.
- Date modified: