Western Innovation Forum 2020
The Western Innovation Forum (WIF) promotes western Canadian capabilities in the aerospace, marine, and defence industries. The event focuses on connecting innovators, companies and researchers with opportunities for innovation-driven investment and business growth.
Date: March 5, 2020
Time: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
Place: Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel
1128 W Hastings St.
Vancouver BC V6E 4R5
Non-Refundable Ticket: $120.00
With your ticket you have access to the morning plenary, the afternoon breakout sessions, the networking lunch, the Innovation Marketplace, and the option to sign up for the Business-to-business (B2B) meeting program.
Tickets sold in advance only.
February 28, 2020 (by 5:00 pm PST): Last day to purchase a ticket.
New matched B2B meeting deadline: The deadline to submit a registration profile for the matched B2B meetings has been extended to February 10, 2020.
Thank you for your interest.
Tickets for the Western Innovation Forum are sold out.
Plenary sessions: 7:30 am – 12:05 pm
Speakers and panel sessions involving industry and government experts.
|7:30 – 8:50||Registration and Networking (Pinnacle Foyer)|
|8:50 – 9:00||
|9:00 – 9:20||
|9:25 – 10:00||
"Future Defence Procurements"
|10:00 – 10:15||Networking Break|
|10:15 – 11:00||
"The Industrial and Technological Benefits Policy"
|11:05 – 12:00||
Panel of Defence Contractors
"Positioning yourself for success in defence procurement"
|12:00 – 12:05||
Breakout sessions (Shaughnessy Salon): 1:00 pm – 3:45 pm
WIF's breakout sessions provide opportunities for participants to hear subject matter experts on relevant topics. These small-group sessions have a limited number of participants, providing question and answer opportunities.
Breakout Session – Shaughnessy I
|1:00 – 1:45||Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) and Western Economic Diversification (WD) – Industrial and Technological Benefits (ITB) Policy 101 session, and overview of WD's programming|
|2:00 – 2:45||Office of Small and Medium Enterprises (OSME) and Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) – Defence Procurement|
|3:00 – 3:45||Innovation Canada|
Breakout Session – Shaughnessy II
|1:00 – 1:45||Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) – Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Program|
|2:00 – 2:45||Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) – Support to small and medium-sized businesses|
Business-to-business meetings (Ambleside I & II): 1:00 pm – 5:35 pm
Organized meetings between businesses, post-secondary institutions, and research institutions aimed at encouraging the formation of partnerships.
IMPORTANT: Once you have purchased a conference ticket you will receive an email containing the link to register for the Matched B2B meetings. You have until February 10, 2020 to submit a registration profile to be considered for Matched B2Bs.
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) will match 'meeting hosts' (large defence contractors with ITB obligations) with registered WIF participants based on shared interests.
How matched meetings work:
- Once you have purchased a conference ticket you will receive an email containing the link to register for the Matched B2B meetings. You have until February 10, 2020 to submit a registration profile to be considered for Matched B2Bs
- The registration profile will serve as the basis for the matches
- All matches will be subject to confirmation by hosts
- Only contractors with present or potential ITB obligations qualify as 'hosts' and may only participate as such
- Confirmed meeting schedules available on B2B/2GO platform on February 14, 2020
These are meetings scheduled between registered B2B participants without WD intervention.
How open meetings work:
- Once the Matched B2B process is complete, registered B2B participants may request and schedule meetings through the B2B/2GO platform
- These meetings may be with any registered B2B participants, including large defence contractors who have remaining slots available after the Matched B2B process is complete
- Scheduling for Open B2Bs will take place between February 14, 2020 and March 4, 2020
- Final B2B schedules published on B2B/2GO platform
Innovation marketplace: 7:30 am – 5:00 pm
WIF's Innovation Marketplace provides an opportunity to learn about relevant government support programs and services for defence-focused innovation and business activities. Government representatives will host information booths where they will meet participants face to face, provide information, and answer questions.
Confirmed attendees include:
- Western Canadian Defence Industries Association (WCDIA)
- Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP) - National Research Council
- Western Economic Diversification (WD)
- Strategic Innovation Fund (SIF) - Innovation Canada (IC)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Innovation Science and Economic Development (ISED)
- Office of Small and Medium Enterprises (OSME) - Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)
- Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security Program (IDEaS) - Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC)
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Scientific Research and Experimental Development program (SR&ED) - Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC)
More participants to come.
- Date modified: