Students & Graduates
The Tri-level Pre-professional Program – Finance and Accounting Stream
The 2019 recruitment intake for the TRI-P program has now closed.
The Tri-level Pre-professional Program (TRI-P) is designed for post-secondary students in an accounting, finance or business co-op program. Program participants will complete one co-op work term at each level of Government; the City of Edmonton, Government of Alberta and the Government of Canada.
Three placements that total 12 months of professional experience and only 1 job interview!
During these placements, participants will have an opportunity to gain work experience and connections that could otherwise take a number of years to develop. The combination of hands-on work experience and training will provide participants with a unique introduction to a rewarding public service career.
Benefits of the Program
In addition to having one of the most unique opportunities to begin a career in the public service, participants will gain:
- exposure to a variety of public sector accounting and finance areas
- experience preparing monthly reports and performing accounting activities related to operating, capital/debt, payroll and benefits, commodity tax, investments and performance reporting
- an understanding of basic accounting entries
- an understanding of financial systems, review and analysis
- exposure to year-end financial statement and budget preparation processes
- exposure to the expenditure management process
- opportunities to develop competencies such as strategic thinking, interpersonal skills, etc.
- a network of colleagues across the three orders of government
On completion of the program, TRI-P participants will be well positioned to launch their career in the public service of their choice.
Participants will be compensated in accordance with the student rate of pay at each order of government, approximately $21/hour.
Who Should Apply
If you are highly motivated, exhibit leadership and academic excellence, good judgment and analytical abilities, and you have a keen interest in accounting and financial management; we want to hear from you.
Working in the Public Service
The Government of Canada, Government of Alberta and the City of Edmonton offer diverse and inclusive work environments, excellent work-life balance, attractive compensation packages, and opportunities for advancement and continuous learning throughout your career. Many rewarding and challenging careers await you in the Public Service.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be pursuing full-time studies in an accounting, finance or business degree program at MacEwan University, NAIT or the University of Alberta; and
- Be registered with their academic institution's Co-op program.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
For additional information related to the TRI-P opportunity, please contact:
Human Resources Advisor
The Career Directory
Explore WD's profile on The Career Directory 2018, listing Canada's best employers for recent graduates.