Western Innovation (WINN) Initiative
The Western Innovation (WINN) Initiative was a five-year federal initiative that offers repayable contributions for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with operations in Western Canada, in order to help move their new and innovative technologies from the later stages of research and development to the marketplace.
Current status of the application period: Closed
The application period for the WINN Initiative is now closed.
The deadline to submit an application was November 29, 2017.
What projects are funded through WINN?
- Introduction of a new technology-based product, process or service to new or existing markets
- Improvement of products, processes or services involving new technology
- Technology development/acceleration
- Product certifications, including Controlled Goods Registration
- Pilot projects (first user) and technology demonstration projects
- Validation of market potential and end-user acceptance
- Support for marketing, productivity, and process or quality improvement directly related to the commercialization of new opportunities
For the latest round of WINN, projects must support one of these clusters:
- Clean Technology
- Clean Resources
- Digital Technology
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Value Added Agriculture
- Health/Bio Sciences
Why is WINN important?
Attracting early-stage capital for technology commercialization is a key challenge for SMEs in Western Canada.
WINN promotes the development and diversification of the western Canadian economy by providing financial support to qualified SMEs to help them accelerate the commercialization of innovative products, processes and services in Western Canada. It also stimulates greater private sector investment in western Canadian commercialization activities.
Through WINN, the Government of Canada is addressing a gap in private sector funding and a need to drive innovation, commercial success and economic growth in Western Canada.
WINN supports the federal government's Innovation and Skills Plan. This plan helps to make Canada a world-leading centre for innovation that creates well-paying jobs and grows the middle class.
Objectives of WINN
- Commercialize innovative, technology-based products, processes and services;
- Stimulate greater private sector investments in commercialization activities;
- Increase the number of jobs for highly qualified personnel(HQP) in Canada; and
- Enable company growth.
Contact us directly at one of our regional offices or by calling 1-888-338-9378.