Western Economic Diversification Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Western Economic Diversification Canada's Quarterly Financial Report for the quarter ended September 30, 2016

Statement outlining results, risks and significant changes in operations, personnel and program


Introduction

This quarterly financial report should be read in conjunction with the Main Estimates, Supplementary Estimates (A), Supplementary Estimates (B), and the Quarterly Financial Report for the quarter ended June 30, 2016.  It has been prepared by management as required by section 65.1 of the Financial Administration Act and in the form and manner prescribed by the Treasury Board. This quarterly report has not been subject to an external audit or review.

Authority, Mandate and Program Activities

Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is mandated to “promote the development and diversification of the economy of Western Canada and to advance the interests of the West in national economic policy, program and project development and implementation.”

The Report on Plans and Priorities and Main Estimates provide further information on WD’s authority, mandate and program activities.

Basis of Presentation

This quarterly report has been prepared by management using an expenditure basis of accounting.  The accompanying Statement of Authorities includes the department’s spending authorities granted by Parliament and those used by the department, consistent with the Main Estimates, Supplementary Estimates (A) and Supplementary Estimates (B) for fiscal year 2016–17. This quarterly report has been prepared using a special purpose financial reporting framework designed to meet financial information needs with respect to the use of spending authorities.

The authority of Parliament is required before moneys can be spent by the Government.  Approvals are given in the form of annually approved limits through appropriation acts or through legislation in the form of statutory spending authority for specific purposes.

The department uses the full accrual method of accounting to prepare and present its annual departmental financial statements that are part of the departmental performance reporting process.  However, the spending authorities voted by Parliament remain on an expenditure basis.

Highlights of fiscal quarter and fiscal year to date (YTD) results

Total Authorities Available for Use and Planned Expenditures for the Year Ending March 31, 2017

Planned departmental spending is concentrated in transfer payments (80 percent) and personnel (14 percent).  Combined, they account for 94 percent of total planned expenditures (refer to the fiscal year 2016-17 pie chart below).

The department increased total funding available for use and planned expenditures to $199.8 million for fiscal year 2016-17, compared to $161.8 million for fiscal year 2015-16, as illustrated in the "Statement of Authorities" and "Departmental Budgetary Expenditures by Standard Object" tables. The net increase of $38 million (19 percent) is due to:

  • An increase of $46.2 million to fund the Canada 150 Infrastructure Program;
  • A decrease of $5.2 million to allow funding of the Thirty Meter Telescope;
  • A net decrease of $2.2 million in operating funding for the delivery of programs on behalf of Infrastructure Canada, and other minor operating adjustments;
  • An increase of $1.2 million to reinvest the receipt of repayable contributions for the Western Diversification Program;
  • A decrease of $1.2 million in funding for the Rick Hansen Foundation; and
  • A net decrease of $800 thousand contribution funding from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada to support the establishment of the Canadian Beef Centre of Excellence and from the Public Health Agency of Canada to support Pan-Provincial Vaccine Enterprise.

Text Version (Link 1): Pie Chart: Planned Expenditures for Fiscal Year 2016—2017

(in thousands of dollars)

This pie chart breaks down planned expenditures for the fiscal year 2016–17 This pie chart breaks down planned expenditures for the fiscal year 2015–16.

Return to the top of this pagetop of page

Total Authorities Used and Expended for the Quarter Ended September 30, 2016

Total authorities used for the second quarter and year to date are concentrated in transfer payments (64 percent) and personnel (29 percent).  Combined, they account for 93 percent of second quarter and year to date actual expenditures (refer to the Actual Expenditures pie charts below).  This spending pattern remains consistent when compared to the same period of fiscal year 2015–16, and is expected to continue for the remainder of fiscal year 2016–17.

Second quarter and year to date spending reflect an increase of $3.6 million (16 percent) and $4.1 million (9 percent) respectively, in total authorities used and actual expenditures for fiscal year 2016–17 when compared to fiscal year 2015–16. This is illustrated in the “Statement of Authorities” and “Departmental Budgetary Expenditures by Standard Object” tables.  The net increase is due to:

  • an increase of $1.8 million quarterly and $2.1 million year to date due to timing differences in the processing of claims for reimbursement of various transfer payment programs;
  • an increase of $1.6 million quarterly and $1.7 million year to date in expenditures for the Canada 150 Infrastructure Program; and
  • a net increase of $239 thousand quarterly and $319 thousand year to date in personnel and other operating costs mainly due to workplace 2.0 fit-up costs.

Text Version (Link 2): Pie Chart: Actual Expenditures for Fiscal Year 2015—2016

(in thousands of dollars)

This pie chart breaks down actual expenditures for the quarter ended September 30, 2016. This pie chart breaks down actual expenditures for the quarter ended September 30, 2015.

This pie chart breaks down actual expenditures YTD for the quarter ended September 30, 2016. This pie chart breaks down actual expenditures YTD for the quarter ended September 30, 2015.

Return to the top of this pagetop of page

Risks and Uncertainties

The department is managing financial resources within a well-defined framework of accountabilities, policies and procedures including a system of budgets, reporting and other internal controls. WD conducts an annual risk assessment exercise as part of its overall risk management approach. For 2016-17, no significant financial risks were identified or reported in the Corporate Risk Profile.

The department maintains financial management processes to ensure effective budget management. This includes assessing the impact of project timing fluctuations and the process for forecasting multi-year funding requirements. The decision-making process facilitates the re-allocation of financial resources to high priority initiatives.

Significant changes in relation to operations, personnel and programs

There are no significant changes in relation to operations, personnel and programs for this reporting period.

 

Approval by Senior Officials

Approved by:

 

Original signed by
 

 

Dylan Jones
Deputy Minister
Original signed by
 

 

Cathy McLean
Chief Financial Officer


 

Edmonton, Canada
Date: November 23, 2016
 


 


Return to the top of this pagetop of page

 

Statement of Authorities (unaudited) : WD Quarterly Financial Report

(in thousands of dollars) Fiscal year 2016–17
Total available for use for the year ending March 31, 2017* Used during the quarter ended September 30, 2016 Year to date used at quarter-end
Vote 1 – Operating expenditures 36,720 8,214 16,038
Vote 5 – Grants and contributions 158,960 16,437 33,846
Budgetary statutory authorities
Contributions to employee benefit plans 4,088 1,022 2,044
Spending of proceeds from the disposal of surplus Crown assets 2
Total budgetary authorities 199,770 25,673 51,928

 

(in thousands of dollars) Fiscal year 2015–16
Total available for use for the year ending March 31, 2016* Used during the quarter ended September 30, 2015 Year to date used at quarter-end
Vote 1 – Operating expenditures 38,841 7,951 15,679
Vote 5 – Grants and contributions 118,733 13,080 30,010
Budgetary statutory authorities
Contributions to employee benefit plans 4,184 1,046 2,092
Minister's salary and motor car allowance 2 1
Total budgetary authorities 161,760 22,077 47,782

More information is available in the following table.

* Includes only authorities available for use and granted by Parliament at quarter-end.

 

Departmental Budgetary Expenditures by Standard Object (unaudited)

(in thousands of dollars) Fiscal year 2016–17
Planned expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2017 Expended during the quarter ended September 30, 2016 Year to date used at quarter-end
Expenditures
Personnel 27,856 7,417 14,605
Transportation and communications 1,398 225 428
Information 372 76 88
Professional and special services 8,007 1,061 2,224
Rentals 1,869 320 373
Repair and maintenance 43 169 170
Utilities, materials and supplies 263 21 29
Acquisition of machinery and equipment 1,002 121 128
Transfer payments 158,960 16,437 33,846
Other subsidies and payments (174) 37
Total budgetary expenditures 199,770 25,673 51,928

 

(in thousands of dollars) Fiscal year 2015–16
Planned expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2016 Expended during the quarter ended September 30, 2015 Year to date used at quarter-end
Expenditures
Personnel 29,089 7,691 14,993
Transportation and communications 1,507 157 382
Information 439 103 151
Professional and special services 9,145 1,222 2,285
Rentals 1,857 384 441
Repair and maintenance 35 1 1
Utilities, materials and supplies 257 16 28
Acquisition of machinery and equipment 698 16 28
Transfer payments 118,733 13,080 30,010
Other subsidies and payments (593) (537)
Total budgetary expenditures 161,760 22,077 47,782