Western Economic Diversification Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Western Economic Diversification Canada’s Quarterly Financial Report for the quarter ended June 30, 2015

Statement outlining results, risks and significant changes in operations, personnel and program


Introduction

This quarterly financial report should be read in conjunction with the Main Estimates. It has been prepared by management as required by section 65.1 of the Financial Administration Act and in the form and manner prescribed by the Treasury Board. This quarterly report has not been subject to an external audit or review.

Authority, Mandate and Program Activities

Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) is mandated to “promote the development and diversification of the economy of Western Canada and to advance the interests of the West in national economic policy, program and project development and implementation.”

The Report on Plans and Priorities and Main Estimates provide further information on WD’s authority, mandate and program activities.

Basis of Presentation

This quarterly report has been prepared by management using an expenditure basis of accounting. The accompanying Statement of Authorities includes the department’s spending authorities granted by Parliament and those used by the department, consistent with the Main Estimates for fiscal year 2015–16. This quarterly report has been prepared using a special purpose financial reporting framework designed to meet financial information needs with respect to the use of spending authorities.

The authority of Parliament is required before moneys can be spent by the Government. Approvals are given in the form of annually approved limits through appropriation acts or through legislation in the form of statutory spending authority for specific purposes.

The department uses the full accrual method of accounting to prepare and present its annual departmental financial statements that are part of the departmental performance reporting process. However, the spending authorities voted by Parliament remain on an expenditure basis.

Highlights of fiscal quarter and fiscal year to date (YTD) results

Total Authorities Available for Use and Planned Expenditures for the Quarter Ended March 31, 2016

Planned departmental spending is concentrated in transfer payments (74 percent) and personnel (18 percent). Combined, they account for 92 percent of total planned expenditures (refer to the fiscal year 2015-16 pie chart below). This planned spending pattern remains consistent when compared to fiscal year 2014-15 and it is expected to continue for the remainder of fiscal year 2015-16.

The department experienced an overall increase in total funding available for use and planned expenditures to $159.9 million for fiscal year 2015-16, compared to $158.9 million for fiscal year 2014–15, as illustrated in the "Statement of Authorities" and "Departmental Budgetary Expenditures by Standard Object" tables. The net increase of $1.0 million (1 percent) is due to:

  • an increase of $1.0 million related to the transfer of contribution funding from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada to support the establishment of the Canadian Beef Centre of Excellence;
  • an increase of $500 thousand related to a reprofile of funding for Workplace 2.0 fit up;
  • a net decrease in other funding, notably related to Federal Councils and collective bargaining ($494 thousand). 

Text Version (Link 1): Planned Expenditures for Fiscal Year 2015-2016

(in thousands of dollars)

  This pie chart breaks down planned expenditures for the fiscal year 2015–16This pie chart breaks down planned expenditures for the fiscal year 2014–15

Return to the top of this pagetop of page

Total Authorities Used and Expended for the Quarter Ended June 30, 2015

Total authorities used for the first quarter is concentrated in transfer payments (66 percent) and personnel (28 percent). Combined, they account for 94 percent of first quarter actual expenditures (refer to the fiscal year 2015–16 pie chart below). This spending pattern has changed by 5 percent when compared to the same period of fiscal year 2014–15, and it is expected to continue for the remainder of fiscal year 2015–16 as explained below.

First quarter spending reflects a decrease of $659 thousand (3 percent) in total authorities used and actual expenditures for fiscal year 2015–16 when compared to fiscal year 2014–15, as illustrated in the “Statement of Authorities” and “Departmental Budgetary Expenditures by Standard Object” tables. The net decrease of $659 thousand is due to:

  • an increase of $2.4 million due to timing differences in the processing of claims for reimbursement of various transfer payment programs;
  • a net decrease in other operating costs when compared to the first quarter of 2014-15, notably the decrease due to a one-time transition payment for implementing salary payments in arrears by the Government of Canada ($1.7 million);
  • a decrease of funding to the Rick Hansen Foundation when compared to the first quarter of 2014-15 ($1.4 million).

Text Version (Link 2): Actual Expenditures for Fiscal Year 2015-2016

(in thousands of dollars)

  This pie chart breaks down actual expenditures for the quarter ended June 30, 2015This pie chart breaks down actual expenditures for the quarter ended June 30, 2014

Risks and Uncertainties

The department is managing the reallocation of existing resources for items announced in Budget 2015 within a well-defined framework of accountabilities, policies and procedures including a system of budgets, reporting and other internal controls to manage within available resources and Parliamentary authorities. WD conducts an annual risk assessment process to update its corporate risk profile. The key corporate risks identified for 2015-2016 do not have a direct impact on financial reporting.

The department maintains its financial management processes and it will continue to strengthen them, such that budget management remains effective. This includes assessing the impact of project timing fluctuations and the process for forecasting multi-year funding requirements. The decision-making process facilitates the re-allocation of financial resources to higher priority initiatives.

Significant changes in relation to operations, personnel and programs

Over the next two years, the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program (C150) will provide up to $46.2 million in assistance that will rehabilitate existing community facilities across Canada, and ensure a lasting legacy resulting from Canada 150.  The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State, announced the launch of the C150 program on May 19, 2015.1 There was no incremental operating funding provided to WD to deliver the C150 program.



 

Approval by Senior Officials

Approved by:

Original signed by
 
Daphne Meredith
Deputy Minister
Original signed by
 
Cathy Matthews
Chief Financial Officer


 

Edmonton, Canada
Date: August 20, 2015


 


[1] News Release: Minister Rempel Announces New Support for Community Infrastructure

Return to the top of this pagetop of page

Statement of Authorities (unaudited)

(in thousands of dollars) Fiscal year 2015–16
Total available for use for the
year ending March 31, 2016*
Used during the quarter ended June 30, 2015 Year to date used at quarter-end
Vote 1 – Operating expenditures 36,995 7,727 7,727
Vote 5 – Grants and contributions 118,733 16,930 16,930
Budgetary statutory authorities
Contributions to employee benefit plans 4,184 1,046 1,046
Minister’s salary and motor car allowance 2 1 1
Total budgetary authorities 159,914 25,704 25,704


 

(in thousands of dollars) Fiscal year 2014–15
Total available for use for the year ending March 31, 2015* Used during the quarter ended June 30, 2014 Year to date used at quarter-end
Vote 1 – Operating expenditures 36,929 9,404 9,404
Vote 5 – Grants and contributions 117,863 15,926 15,926
Budgetary statutory authorities
Contributions to employee benefit plans 4,114 1,028 1,028
Collection agency fees under section 17.1 of the Financial Administration Act 4 4
Minister's salary and motor car allowance 2 1 1
Total budgetary authorities 158,908 26,363 26,363

More information is available in the following table.

* Includes only authorities available for use and granted by Parliament at quarter-end.


 

Departmental Budgetary Expenditures by Standard Object (unaudited)

(in thousands of dollars) Fiscal year 2015–16
Planned expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2016 Expended during the quarter ended June 30, 2015 Year to date used at quarter-end
Expenditures
Personnel 29,089 7,302 7,302
Transportation and communications 1,307 225 225
Information 380 48 48
Professional and special services 7,935 1,063 1,063
Rentals 1,611 56 56
Repair and maintenance 31
Utilities, materials and supplies 223 12 12
Acquisition of machinery and equipment 605 12 12
Transfer payments 118,733 16,930 16,930
Other subsidies and payments 56 56
Total budgetary expenditures 159,914 25,704 25,704


 

(in thousands of dollars) Fiscal year 2014–15
Planned expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2015 Expended during the quarter ended June 30, 2014 Year to date used at quarter-end
Expenditures
Personnel 29,049 7,629 7,629
Transportation and communications 1,279 207 207
Information 397 36 36
Professional and special services 7,012 1,352 1,352
Rentals 2,117 30 30
Repair and maintenance 133 2 2
Utilities, materials and supplies 529 6 6
Acquisition of machinery and equipment 529 5 5
Transfer payments 117,863 15,926 15,926
Other subsidies and payments 1,170 1,170
Total budgetary expenditures 158,908 26,363 26,363